Thứ Ba, 6 tháng 1, 2015

Most Common Grammar Mistakes in English - Is it I or Is it me?

“It is me” or “It is I”?

Wrong: It is me, the great tyrant Tyrannosaurus!
Correct: It is I, the great tyrant Tyrannosaurus!
It is important to note that “is” is a linking verb, meaning it renames the subject with a subject predicate in English grammar. 
Now, normal transitive verbs have an object. (He sees me) Me = object.
Linking verbs have subject predicates instead. (That guy was I) I = subject predicate.
Here’s another example. – “A dog is a great pet.”
A dog = subject
a great pet = subject predicate
You can see that “subject = subject predicate”. A dog = a great pet. That’s why they are called linking verbs; because they link two subjects.
And since linking verbs link to subjects, subject pronouns must be used. So that’s why it is “It is I” and not “It is me”.


Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét