Thứ Ba, 6 tháng 1, 2015

Most Common Grammar Mistakes in English - I or Me?

Subject pronouns and object pronouns
Wrong: He sat between you and I.
Correct: He sat between you and me.
I now fully understand this rule once I took an English lesson about subject and object pronouns.
The subject is the one that does things. (He sees me)
The object is the one who has the thing done to him. (He sees me)
Another type of object is the prepositional object and it is the one which the preposition is directed at. (He sees it with me)
So, here is a table of subject and object pronouns.
Subject pronouns
Object pronouns
I
Me
You
You
He
Him
She
Her
We
Us
They
Them
So, if you are using a pronoun as a subject, use a subject pronoun. Same thing on the objects.
It’s “between you and me” because “you and me” is the object of the preposition between.
It’s “I know him” because “him” is the object of the verb “know”.
It’s “William and he read” because “William and he” is the subject.


Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét