Thứ Ba, 6 tháng 1, 2015

TOEFL Intermediate Vocabulary List A

TOEFL is an examination that evaluates the ability of non-native speakers to use and understand English in academic environment. Here is a TOEFL vocabulary exam vocabulary list...


Absurdly – Adverb – Ridiculously, unreasonably
The man laughed absurdly and the joke wasn’t even funny.

Abuse – Verb – To injure, damage or improperly use
It is wrong to abuse animals.

Accessible – Adjective – Able to be reached
The bus is accessible to all Ann Arbor residents.

Accuracy – Noun – Correct, free from mistake
            Accuracy is important when you type.

Acquire – Verb – To come into possession of, to get
            I acquired my father’s car after his death.

Adapt – Verb – To make fit, often by modification, adjust
            It is important to adapt your clothing to the weather.  

Adjacent – Adjective – Nearby, next to
            My pen is adjacent to my book.

Adjusting – Verb – Changing or resolving to conform
            I am adjusting my schedule so that I can go on vacation.

Administer – Verb – To manage or supervise the use of something
            I administer the office supplies at work.

Adolescent – Noun – The age between puberty and maturity, teenager
            Adolescents are often sad.

Adopt – Verb – To take up or take on by choice
            You should adopt a new hobby.

Adverse – Adjective – To act opposite of a direction
            Most people learn from adverse situations.      

Advocate – Verb – To plead in favor of (Noun – Someone who pleads in favor of)
            I advocate for animal rights.

Affinity – Noun – An attraction
            I have an affinity for chocolate.

Affluent – Adjective – Having an abundance
            Not many tutors are affluent.

Ailment – Noun – A bodily disorder or chronic disease
            What ailment do you have?

Alliance – Noun – Connection, association
            I have made an alliance with my neighbors.

Allot – Verb – To give a portion
            I will allot 90 minutes to our studies.

Amenities – Noun – Something that creates a feeling of comfort or convenience
            The amenities in the hotel were great!

Amicable – Adjective – Peaceful, friendly
            The divorce was amicable.

Amiss – Adjective – Not being right, faulty
            Something is amiss in this room.

Antagonist – Noun – Adversary, opponent
            Jeff is my antagonist at work.

Anticipate – Verb – To give advanced thought, treatment or feeling, to foresee
            I anticipated your need for sentences.

Apathy – Noun – A lack of feeling or emotion, indifference
            Apathy is common among teenagers.

Appalled – Verb – To feel shock or disgust
            I am appalled by his lack of hygiene.

Appease – Verb – To pacify

           I want to appease the angry man.

Aptitude – Noun – Natural ability, tendency
            You have an aptitude for sports.

Aromatic – Adjective – Having a strong smell, fragrant
            The candles were very aromatic.

Assets – Noun – The resources/property of a person, business or association
            My house is my greatest asset.   

Atmospheric – Adjective – Relating to or resembling the air surrounding the earth
            The atmospheric conditions today make it seem like spring.

Attract – Verb – To draw toward oneself
            My garden attracts many butterflies.

Attribute – Noun – An inherent characteristic or quality
            What is your best attribute?

Audible – Adjective – Able to be heard
            The TV is barely audible, please turn it up.

Augment – Verb – To make greater or more intense
            It is important to augment tutoring with home study time.

Autonomous – Adjective – Self governing
            Our tutoring sessions are autonomous.

Averse – Adjective – Undesirable
            An averse outcome to bad weather is the flu.

Avid – Adjective – Characterized by enthusiasm
            I am an avid pet owner.

Aware – Adjective – Having perception, knowledge or watchfulness
            Are you aware of the noise in this room?

Awkwardly – Adverb – Lacking in grace or dexterity

            I awkwardly introduced myself last night.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét